4 Tips to Prevent Cold and Flu in Winters
Winter season tends to make people fall sick with common cold and flu as the responsible virus unfurls easily in cold and dry air. Since the human nasal passage becomes dry in winters, it allows the cold virus to function and makes the person sick. Usually, common cold manifests the trilogy of symptoms that include sore throat, blocked nose and cough.
Cold and flu are somewhat subject to the strength of the immunity system. People with sensitive or a weakened immunity system tend to get affected by changing weather conditions and suffer from cold and flu easily. Though the condition can be easily treated with the help of pharmaceutical products manufactured by top pharma companies in India, experts suggest people to take preventive measures instead.
Some preventive measure include:
Practice Good Hygiene
Virus and bacteria grows faster in unhygienic and dirty places, which increases the importance of keeping the surroundings and body clean and sanitized. Experts suggest that exposure to illness by avoiding germ buildups is the key to healthy body functioning. Some good hygiene practices include:
- Shower on daily basis and use anti-bacterial soaps
- Washing hands before eating or preparing food
- Keeping finger nails clean
- Covering mouth while sneezing or coughing
- Sanitizing and disinfecting shared surfaces
- Carrying alcohol-based sanitizers
Nutrition and Diet
Diet and nutrition play an essential role in strengthening the immunity system of the human body. People should include nutrient-rich foods in their diet in order to stay healthy. Some of them include:
- Green vegetables that are rich in iron
- Foods including egg yolks, mushroom, salmon, etc. that are rich in Vitamin D
- Green tea that is rich in antioxidants
- Fruits rich in Vitamin C
- Drink enough water to keep yourself hydrated
A healthy daily routine incorporated with exercises and activities helps to keep the body active and away from infections. It reduces the risk of inflammation and also reduces stress by releasing stress hormones. Regular exercising accelerates the circulation of white blood cells which fight against infections, common cold and flu.
Personalize Essential Items
- Medical experts recommend people to keep daily essentials like clothing, toothbrush, utensils, etc. personalized. Since cold and flu are contagious in nature, it is important to restrict any sick person from using them.
- Maintaining the right combination of a balanced diet, exercise routine and proper vaccinations is essential to keep yourself healthy. According to medical experts, everyone above the age of 6 months should get flu vaccinations in autumns, before the starting of flu-season.